Re: sleep on ibook G4...

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:12:01 +0100
Colin Leroy <colin@colino.net> wrote:

> Radeon 9200 mobility. (chip id 0x5C63, lspci shows it as "ATI
> Technologies Inc: Unknown device 5c63").

Well, mine has the same chip id:

0000:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV250 5c63
[Radeon Mobility 9200 M9+] (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA]) ...

> This is not due to the PMU but to the video card. the iBook G4s are marked as
> can-not-sleep in arch/ppc/platforms/pmac_features.c to avoid crashing them by
> trying to make them sleep (and not resume).

I see. When I first bought this laptop, I installed Debian and compiled a
2.6.9 kernel I was puzzled when I discovered I couldn't put it into sleep
(I had previous experience with an iBook 2.2 G3 I used to own before).
Then, inspired by the fake-sleep patch, I changed the pmac_features.c file
and I did the same test (direct ioctl() to /dev/pmu, similar to what pmud
does) and the machine became zombie: half alive, half dead  X-D

Finally, where can I get those highly experimental patches to race my
creature?  ;-)

Thanks in advance.