Re: Laptop Mode

On 16/09/2004 at 08:54 +0200, Guido Guenther wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 09:56:17PM +0200, Kiko Piris wrote:
> > On 15/09/2004 at 20:04 +0200, Matthias Grimm wrote:

> > > Anything else doesn't make much sense.
> >
> > Nope, this is not true (at least for me :-).
> Matthias _is_ right, you need a power management daemon to tell
> laptop_mode when it turn it on or not.

Yes, I know. What I was saying that it is not true is that "Anything
else doesn't make much sense.", it does make sense for me.

But I didn't mean to be rude or anything close to that (that's why I put
a smiley there :-).

> Laptop_mode is _no_ daemon that checks for ac power or not
> periodically.

I also know that, the daemon I was referring to, was pbbutonsd (that's
the one I use on my iBook). I don't want it to "touch" my laptop-mode
settings.

> Your case with LAPTOP_MODE_ALWAYS_ON is special.

I will take a look at it, thanks for pointing (thanks to christophe
barbe for pointing it also).

> > I want it running *all the time* (regardless if I'm on battery or on AC
> > adapter) because I use it to lower a bit the temperature of the hard
> > disk.
> But it decreases the lifetime of your hard disks servos due to frequent
> spin ups and spin downs.

I also know this, I've fine tuned all the daemons so that they don't
make superfluous (cache-miss) reads that cause too frequent spin-ups.

--
Kiko
Private mail is preferred encrypted: