Re: PPC subarches

'ello,

Thanks to all who've replied -- OF sounds really very cool!  I just read
something in an article hosted by IBM recently and found it a little
odd:

>From http://tinyurl.com/2aj49
``Apple's Open Firmware (an enhanced version of the BIOS Linux users
know from x86 PCs) relies on a small "Apple Bootstrap" partition (hda2)
to load the subsequent operating system from one of the regular
partitions. The partition map also occupies hda1, so the first partition
in which you will install any operating system is numbered at least
hda3.''

Is this really true?  Also, does it mean that if I accidentally delete
the contents of hda1 and hda2, I will no longer be able to boot my
machine and will have to send it back to Apple to be repaired?  I'd say
``hopefully OS X can replace this data when it is installed.'' but then
if OF needs that data to boot the OS X install CD, then I don't suppose
it /could/...

bye just now,

--
Matthew T. Atkinson <matthew@agrip.org.uk>