Re: Linux vs Mac OS 10.3(Panther)

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 20:07, Cedric Pradalier wrote:
> According to Albert Cahalan, on 13 May 2004 11:31:39 -0400,

> >> mplayer and mplayer-plugin make streaming video a little less painful,
> >> but yeah, it's about 6 months before support for the latest codecs
> >> shows up (pretty fast turnaround, if you ask me :> )
> >
> >So you can just point your web browser at a popular
> >news site and watch the video clips?
> >
> >http://www.cnn.com/
> >http://www.msnbc.com/
> >http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/default.stm

I just saw 2 videos from the BBC page above, with realplayer and Mozilla
1.6 --- worked like a charm: I just clicked on the video links, and
realplayer was started, in one case inside a little BBC browser pop-up
window, in the other one externally.

> >Skip-free full-screen video from an encrypted DVD too?
> >
> >I'd especially love a solution that was solid enough
> >that I didn't have to worry about software upgrades
> >breaking it.
> >

> Also, the realplayer 8 is distributed for most ppc linux architecture.
> It does not work as a plugin,  [ .... ]

Not being sure what exactly you mean with plugin: But I have this in
Mozilla preferences --> Helper Applications:

MIME Type: audio/x-pn-realaudio
Extension: ram ra rm

I set this stuff up some time ago, so I forgot what I did exactly to get
realplayer working inside Mozilla.

Oh, I just saw this in the ~/.mozilla/plugins folder here:
rpnp.so
-- is the latter the realplayer plugin? ... Sorry, but it must be months
ago I was setting up all this ... :)

Might be that that were some plugin/MIME install settings that
realplayer did itself when I installed it ... don't know.

There's some apps that doesn't work here at times (also perhaps due to
the fact that I simply do not have the time to find out every time what
goes wrong if something doesn't work here).

But realplayer on ppc/Mozilla works. Full stop ... :)

Best Regards
Wolfgang
--
Profile, links: http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer