Re: Linux vs Mac OS 10.3(Panther)

Cedric Pradalier wrote:
According to Albert Cahalan, on 13 May 2004 11:31:39 -0400,
On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 11:30, Rob Latham wrote:

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 06:22:39PM -0400, Albert Cahalan wrote:

forget about streaming video and flash

mplayer and mplayer-plugin make streaming video a little less painful,
but yeah, it's about 6 months before support for the latest codecs
shows up (pretty fast turnaround, if you ask me :> )

So you can just point your web browser at a popular
news site and watch the video clips?

http://www.cnn.com/
http://www.msnbc.com/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/default.stm

Skip-free full-screen video from an encrypted DVD too?

I'd especially love a solution that was solid enough
that I didn't have to worry about software upgrades
breaking it.

Also, the realplayer 8 is distributed for most ppc linux architecture.
It does not work as a plugin, but if you look at the web page source in
firefox, you can fetch the media address and feed it to the player.

And since mplayer can use the realplayer 8 libraries I wouldn't be surprised if mplayer-plugin could indeed be used as realplayer plugin ;-)

I didn't try CNN, because then I need to "sign up here for a 14 day free trial", MSNBC told me that "MSN Video requires Microsoft Windows® 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, or Windows XP." (very likely it doesn't, but they're refusing to show their video content to anyone not using a MickeySoft solution. Did you expect anything different?), however BBC gave me a simple .ram that played just fine in the Linux realplayer. For some reason I think that sounds a bit smarter than those other two ;-)

Skip-free DVD playback should be possible, unless you're using framebuffer for X...

--
AmigaOne dev list FAQ (when I say F, I mean F):
http://www.samfundet.no/~olegil/amiga/