Re: Current benh-kernel fails to boot (after clock) on iBook G4

Hello,
On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 10:17:56AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > Have you tried disabling the RTC driver?  I think it's been known to cause
> > problems on ppc.

I only had it as module. Disabling it completly got the kernel to
boot.

> Indeed, this is the "legacy" x86 driver, it doesn't work on Macs. You
> should use CONFIG_PPC_RTC and not CONFIG_RTC on those.
>
> In general (for the 10000nth time), use pmac_defconfig !

I have never heard about pmac_defconfig, sorry. I read several (5 ?)
web pages about installing on ibook, and also the Debian powerpc-port
pages, where it is not mentioned.

I just read some posts on this list -- pmac_defconfig creates a default
configuration for a machine, correct? Is there some good FAQ for this
and other "specialities" of the PPC plattform?

Btw. I found at least one kernel help text a little confusing. Are you
the right person to send this to?

Thanks

      Helge

--