Re: powerbook and debian

Hi,

Bob Hentges a écrit :
eric.bachard@b.org wrote:

Perhaps a dumb question, but why do you think that airport extreme will not be supported in the future?

Broadcom don't want to give the specifications. The chipset may give possibilities to do something else than wifi.

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0304.3/1120.html

If you are interested, there is a petition (not sure how efficiency it can be, but what else ?) :

http://www.petitiononline.com/BCM4301/petition.html

And at last, if you mean the ndiswrapper project (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/ ), this will be a hack. In fact, windows drivers are necessary. And Windows is for x86 in this case. Porting this under powerpc architecture will (imho) be a bit problematic.

Of course, I really expect be wrong, and will be very pleased to can use my airport extreme card under my favorite OS...

It is somewhat an important decision for me, as I am planning on getting myself a powerbook 15'' as well.

For now, I've bought an MA401 (PCMCIA) from NetGear : works great (with orinoco_cs from kernel sources) , not difficult to configure and use it.

And now, I can watch TV, have an eye on #debianppc, all without light in the room : keyboard backligth of course, and with my albook under Linux :-p

Regards,

eric

--
NO ePATENTS / NON AUX BREVETS SUR LES LOGICIELS. See / Voir http://swpat.ffii.org/