Re: powerbook and debian

El jue, 22-01-2004 a las 05:26, Angel escribió:
> Are apple powerbooks and debian good friends?

Sure, and are the coolest device to run Linux :)

> I am in a rush of spending 3000 euros on a laptop :), I want to run linux on
> it (I have no experience with Mac Os) . Although I've heard wonders of the
> apple powerbook 15" with the superdrive I am a bit hesitant on how easy it
> would be to run debian on it.

Well, I have an Alu 15" 1.25Ghz with superdrive with Debian and MacOS X.
I don't use MacOS X (well, I start it once a week to apply security
patches or show how it looks to somebody who want to know more about
Macs :)
The instalation process is not as easy it can be, but part of that
dificult is understand the new architecture of Macs (this is my first
Mac)
So, you can install Debian, you will have a lot of fun doing that :)
Well right now my status with Linux/Debian/PowerBook is:

Kernel: 2.6.1-ben1
USB: Working
USB cable to conect Motorola V60i CDMA phone to access Internet by
phone: Working
PCMCIA: Working (I have an 3com wifi card)
Fan Control: Working
Keyboard Backlight: Working
Automatic managment of Keyboard Backlight and LCD Bright with light
conditions: Working
DVD: Working
CD-R: Working
DVD-R: Works (but not tested)
Bluetooth: Working
CPU frequency change: working
Sound: Working

> In case installation is easy/feaseble, what would be the bad side (if any)
> of running debian on a powerbook

Well, you will be part of minority of minority, but everybody want's to
be member of a select club :))))
There are only a few things that I am missing:
Native Wifi support
3D aceleration (you can't see DVD or avis in full screen)
External monitor
Modem
Sleep support

If you can't live without of one of these things, well, you have MacOS
:)
I am very happy with this notebook, and my next linux notebook will be
another mac (I hope G5 or something better)

Federico

--
My software never has bugs.       | ASCII Ribbon Campaign         /"\
It just develops random features. | For Standards-Complaint Email \ /