Re: PowerMac 7100/80 won't boot

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 02:15:06PM -0700, Philip Larkin Waters wrote:
> That is why person-to-person has been the best for me. One person knows
> this, the other person knows that, and now my computer is sitting on my desk
> here at work without being able to find our gateway to the internet, with no
> available CD-Burning software  around that can make an HFS disk, all of the
> MACOS blown completely off the hard drive, and it is sitting waiting for me
> to point it to the "Modules?" and "Packages" for debian.

Oh nononono. You are pretty much guaranteed to need MacOS to boot a
NuBus system. There are exactly 3 bootloaders to choose from - BootX,
MKLinux Booter, and miBoot - and the first two need at least a minimal
MacOS install to load at all. The latter can load from a standalone HFS
partition without an actual MacOS install, but it's more challenging to
set up right. (Note that these are not guaranteed to work on all NuBus
systems - I ran Linux on some 6100s, and they didn't like anything but
MKLinux Booter. It seems to be the only one guaranteed to work.)

> I wasn't able to succesfully make a linux swap using "mac-fdisk??" but I do
> have a 32M partition waiting if I ever figure out how (if it'll work now)

The type string should be 'Apple_UNIX_SVR2' for all Linux partitions.
The swap partition must be named 'swap'. The actual Linux filesystem
partitions can be named pretty much anything else, but you can't use
spaces in the names.

> It would really help if I knew where to get a MACOS CD to begin all over
> again. I learned so much.

Contact me off list.

> Also if anybody knows why an AppleTalk dongle talks fine over a cross-over
> cable, but won't find my corporate gateway through a Hub, then a switch, to
> a NAT server when PC on the same segment does fine, please let me know...

An "AppleTalk dongle"? You mean a PhoneNet module that plugs into the
printer port? That won't get you networking with Linux, and without
commercial software (which I'm not sure is even available anymore -
probably not), you certainly can't do TCP/IP via PhoneNet. Get a
10Base/T-to-AAUI transceiver - they're dirt cheap on eBay.

--
Derrik Pates
dpates@dsdk12.net