Re: PowerMac 7100/80 won't boot

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 03:22:56PM -0800, Brad Boyer wrote:
> Well, that 'cannot' is really 'should not' since Linux doesn't need
> them at all, but the MacOS does. If you boot this thing using miboot
> or BootX, you still need the drivers, but if you use quik or yaboot,
> then they're extraneous unless you want the MacOS to be able to use
> the disk.

He's got a 7100. It's a NuBus system. It doesn't have OpenFirmware, and
won't work with either quik or yaboot. MKLinux Booter and BootX both
start from MacOS, and miBoot loads by way of the MacOS ROM that's burned
into chips on the logic board.

Personally, I think this poor guy's gonna have a hell of a time.
Debian's something of a "hardcore" distro to begin with - and he's
installing it on a system that Debian doesn't officially support.

> > If I reboot I'm dead in the water right?
> > I don't have the MACOS installation disks

He needs to stop what he's doing, go get a Mac System 7.5/7.6 or System
8 CD, reinstall a small MacOS partition, then install Linux from there.
If he continues on as he's going, he'll have a perfectly good Linux
install which he won't be able to boot.

--
Derrik Pates
dpates@dsdk12.net