Re: external vga + ibook2 [OpenFirmware command?]

On lun, 20 ene 2003, christophe barbe wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 01:14:54PM +0100, Santiago Fernandez wrote:
> > By the way, is TV output supported  in new iBooks (the one with the M7
> > chip)?
>
> AFAIK no. There is a atitvout program but it relies on a BIOS call which
> is of course x86 specific.

It's a pity. I love watching DivX movies on TV.

> > External VGA works great (once linux  has detected the monitor), but I
> > can not get TV output working although XFree (4.2.1) detects the TV.
>
> Nice. Could you describe a little what you are able to do? Is it
> mirroring (same thing on the external VGA and the LCD)? Or dual head?
> Is there something to add in the X config file to drive an external
> monitor? I have no experience with this.

I  only tried  mirroring. There's  nothing to  add in  XF86Config-4. I
booted MacOS  X with  the external monitor  connected. Then  reboot in
order to  start linux. That's  all. Take a  look at XFree86's  log: it
detects both monitors and the correct modelines for each one (at least
for  a recent  monitor). I  got  1024x768@85 on  the external  monitor
automatically. Same for  TV but, in this case, I  don't see nothing on
TV (I  guess we need  extra information from  ATI in order  to include
TV-Output support into framebuffer's driver)

I also tried the aforementioned trick (instead of booting MacOS X):
1. Plug the external monitor to the iBook.
1. Turn on the iBook and inmediately close the lid.
2. Open the lid once the first frame has been displayed on the external
monitor.

It didn't work. Maybe because I was using a very old monitor when I
tried this (no EDID information available, etc...)