Re: Kernel hangs during boot on PowerBook G4 17 1GHz

On Dec 11, 2003, at 1:03 AM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

	Thanks for taking the time to reply.  Yes, you nailed it; an
nVidia-based 17" albook. I briefly got past the issue I had posted and
experienced three different types of segmentation faults and weird
hangs.  Is there another kernel version I should try, or am I doomed
with this unit?
	This particular PowerBook model seems to be a collage of the worst of
Apple's hardware configurations when it comes to trying to run Linux.
Does anybody have a recommendation on Apple laptops within the last two
years that are kind of the most suitable for running Debian?

Try what I did, that is boot with "nol3" on the kernel command line.
The best powerbook to run linux on currently are the previous models,
the 1Ghz Titanium with ATI graphics (not the newest ones).

I have one of the new iBook G4s on loan from Apple for a couple of weeks, I'll see if I can get full support for this one as well. Full support for the newest 15 and 17" machines will require some help from ATI; but there
is hope (for sleep support). There is currently no hope getting sleep
support to work on any nVidia based model.

Ben.
Ben,
That worked. I added the following line to the section for that kernel in my yaboot.conf file:

	append = "nol3"

I suppose I can muck around some more, but knowing that the hardware on this unit is part of the "no hope" class for sleep and 802.11b isn't exactly inspiring. Thanks for the tip.

Regards,
--
Barry C. Hawkins
All Things Computed