Re: Kernel hangs during boot on PowerBook G4 17 1GHz

On Dec 10, 2003, at 6:02 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 15:08, Barry Hawkins wrote:
List,
	I have been trying to get a 2.4.23(pre5_benh?) kernel up and running
on a PowerBook G4 17". Currently I can get through the following steps
without issue:

Is this a first rev (nVidia based) 17" albook ?

If yes, then there is a problem with the cache coherency and the L3 on
this model that I haven't had a chance to figure out. Booting with
"nol3" should help. (Actually, you may experience all sort of data
corruption without this option, OHCI crashing beeing just one trigger)

Ben.

Ben,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes, you nailed it; an nVidia-based 17" albook. I briefly got past the issue I had posted and experienced three different types of segmentation faults and weird hangs. Is there another kernel version I should try, or am I doomed with this unit? This particular PowerBook model seems to be a collage of the worst of Apple's hardware configurations when it comes to trying to run Linux. Does anybody have a recommendation on Apple laptops within the last two years that are kind of the most suitable for running Debian?

Regards,
--
Barry C. Hawkins
All Things Computed