Re: Panther-Upgrade and no more linux on PBG4 12"

Hi Cive Menzies, Chris Tillman and others,

THX for patience, replies and help :)

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 08:33:37PM +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:
> On (17/10/03 20:15), Georg Koss wrote:
> > Hello Clive,
> >
> > THX for fast reply.

> > > If you search the archive for the last month, I think you'll find quite
> > > a lot on this:
> > >
> > > http://lists.debian.org/search.html
> >
> > I tried this with boot, openfirmware, panther, macosx, powerpc, but no
> > success. Probably you can give me one more hint (e.g. the list I shall
> > look for).
> >

> > > HTH
> >
> > I'm afraid, not at the moment but thanks for your help &
> >
> > have a good day!
> Hi Georg
>
> This is weird?  I know that there was a lot on this because of the
> OSX upgrade breaking the Debian boot.  I kept one message from Wolfgang
> Pfeiffer with the following subject just in case I had to refer back:
> Re: Upgrade Mac OS X 10.2.8 stops 2.4.21-ben2

Damn' I missed that under a lot of mails because of my holydays ...

> But I've just done a search on debian-powerpc and it comes up with no
> results.

hmm ...

> Here's the text:

> Excerpt:
> "Restart the computer and hold down the four keys
> command + option + O + F. This puts you into OpenFirmware, which is a
> kind of boot monitor.  At the OpenFirmware prompt, type the following:
> boot hd:9,yaboot
>
> The digit in this command may differ for your system;
> see above. If you don't know the number of the partition you have set
> aside from Debian, try other numbers."

Did that but ...

> But this time the booting kernel (yaboot etc.) is living on the Mac OS
> X partition itself instead of the one created for Debian.

... my kernel died - and most astonishingly I'm not able to start the
installer from cd with

   boot: cd:,yaboot

In the last case the kernel starts and dies shortly after with the
last message
     openpic: exit

That's what I think is most crazy - am I wrong?

> There were a number of other posts from people suffering  similar
> problem.  The thought police must have removed them ;)  Or I dreamt it.

If we have to choose I'd prefer the second ;)

But back to earth -- Thank you both Clive Menzies and Chris Tillman
very much for assistance.

I've to stop now because I've to get up early tomorrow - be back on
sunday - hopefully with success-message.

THX & have a fabulous day

--

M.f.G.

Georg Koss