Re: Enabling IBM Java 141 for web browsers

"Kevin B. Hendricks" <kevin.hendricks@sympatico.ca> writes:

> As far as I know, the IBM jdks do not come with a Mozilla plugin so
> they won't work with Mozilla period.
>
> You should be able to use in in Konqueror just by opening it up and editing
> its setting and changing the path to find java in the settings.
>
> >From there you should be good to go.
>
> If you want to use the JIT compiler under IBM's jdk please put the following
> in your .bashrc or .profile
>
> export JITC_PROCESSOR_TYPE=6

Hmmm... I finally found my trouble.

I've been using the Perl module Inline::Java with the 1.4.1 JDK to run
the picolo zooming graphics library from UMD, and if I create too many
objects (a few hundred) I always get a java reflection
error. Inline::Java uses reflection really heavily, and after a while
the IBM 1.4.1 JDK chokes and dies, but the same code runs just fine on
the blackdow JDK on an x86 machine.

I' tried the JITC_PROCESSOR_TYPE=6 fix, but the code still throws a
reflection error. Using JAVA_COMPILER=NONE solves the problem totally!
The code definately runs slower, though.

Kevin, what if I have the following for my /etc/cpuinfo hack:

  cpu		: 604e
  temperature 	: 27-29 C (uncalibrated)
  clock		: 500MHz
  revision	: 131.0 (pvr 0008 8300)
  bogomips	: 996.14
  machine		: PowerBook3,1
  motherboard	: PowerBook3,1 MacRISC Power Macintosh
  detected as	: 70 (PowerBook Pismo)
  pmac flags	: 00000007
  L2 cache	: 1024K unified
  memory		: 256MB
  pmac-generation	: NewWorld

Do I need a different setting for the processor type, because I've
pretended my CPU is a 604e?

Cheers,
jas.