Re: Enabling IBM Java 141 for web browsers

jason@openinformatics.com (Jason E. Stewart) writes:

> erik@debill.org writes:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 08:19:44PM +0200, Pander wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I have installed IBMJava2-ppc-141 and it works great although it doens't
> > > run applets in mozilla and konquerer. What do I need to do to get this
> > > working?
> > >
> > > I have already
> > > JAVA_COMPILER=NONE
> > > JAVA_HOME=/opt/IBMJava2-ppc-141
> >
> > You got this working?  I haven't played too much with it, but the
> > version of 1.4.1 for ppc I downloaded a couple weeks ago would crash
> > as soon as the JVM started.  Kind of a downer given I'd like to have
> > the same JVM across all my systems (and the rest are x86).
>
> Read the following thread:
>
>  http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-devel/2003-June/000231.html

FWIW,

I read the other thread on *just* setting JITC_PROCESSOR_TYPE=6, and
with that solution you avoid a kernel recompile, or hacking the
libraries with Emacs.

I unhacked my libs to use /proc/cpuinfo again, and using
JAVA_COMPILER=NONE works for my Perl picolo app, and
JITC_PROCESSOR_TYPE=6 now also works.

Doesn't seem particularily zippy, though - I was hoping that would
somehow activate the compiler, and it would speed the rendering up.

Any ideas why the /etc//cpuinfo hack with the processor set to 604e
would cause reflection errors when the JIT kicks in, but using
JITC_PROCESSOR_TYPE=6 doesn't?

Cheers,
jas.