Re: 2.2 powerpc kernels in unstable ???

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 01:36:18AM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 12:05:21AM -0300, Rog?rio Brito wrote:
> > On Aug 25 2003, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > Sarge will ship with debian-installer, which i doubt will fit on a
> > > floppy disk on powerpc. Not sure though.
> >
> > Hummm, that's not good news. At least for me (I haven't been able to
> > keep up the messages). And the 2.2 kernels don't enable my oldworld to
> > see the second PCI bus, which is quite a limitation compared to the 2.4
> > kernels.
> The standard 2.4 vmlinux for pmac is 3.3M, while the same .coff kernel
> is only 1.2M, and the i386 equivalent is maybe 700M.  I wonder what
> the difference really is.

The vmlinux is uncompressed as yaboot cannot handle compressed kernels
or something such. If the coff kernel is 1.2M, it is ok for a floppy no,
and the yaboot using pmacs have no floppy driver anyway, so we shouldn't
care less. I may be wrong about this though, as i am not really intimely
familiar with pmac hardware.

Sven Luther