Re: 2.2 powerpc kernels in unstable ???

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 11:20:39AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there still people using the 2.2 kernel packages with testing or
> unstable ? I don't speak about the 2.2 packages which came with stable.
>
> I feel that the 2.4.20 and 2.4.21 packages are ok for powermacs, and
> there is already a 2.4.17 apus package, i don't know (and it ever
> remained a mistery to me) what the chrp/prep/whatever used for kernel
> packages, my guess is that they use homebuilt kernels or something.

The chrp and/or prep kernels in the archive have been defective and
non-bootable. A poster asked for them to be replaced on the list
some time ago, but no one ever responded. I think you'll find those
posts if you search for 'Rolf;Brudeseth'. I may have saved something,
I'll send it to you if I find it.

> So, if nobody steps in and tell me he absolutely needs a 2.2.x kernel in
> unstable, i will be asking (at Herbert's request) for the removal of the
> last 2.2.x kernel from debian/unstable (as said, this will not influence
> the woody version of those packages, which as for all of debian/stable,
> will continue to exist untouched).

The 2.2 kernel fits on a floppy, while the 2.4 does not. So fine, for
unstable, as long as it remains in stable -- for oldworld powerpc
boot-floppies users (whose CDs are not bootable and who must use
floppies or MacOS/BootX to boot the installer).

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People