Re: 2.2 powerpc kernels in unstable ???

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 12:05:21AM -0300, Rog?rio Brito wrote:
> On Aug 25 2003, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Sarge will ship with debian-installer, which i doubt will fit on a
> > floppy disk on powerpc. Not sure though.
>
> Hummm, that's not good news. At least for me (I haven't been able to
> keep up the messages). And the 2.2 kernels don't enable my oldworld to
> see the second PCI bus, which is quite a limitation compared to the 2.4
> kernels.

The standard 2.4 vmlinux for pmac is 3.3M, while the same .coff kernel
is only 1.2M, and the i386 equivalent is maybe 700M.  I wonder what
the difference really is.

One thing I have done, is install using 2.2 either on floppy or BootX,
and then upgrade to to 2.4 after the basic installation is complete,
before installing other packages.

But I haven't heard of anyone being able to use quik with 2.4 kernels,
again it may be a quik limitation on image size, the limitation seems
to crop up around 2.3 MB. BootX will boot a 2.4 image on oldworlds.

Perhaps we could collaborate with benh to update quik? Or better, to
incorporate code in yaboot so it works on oldworlds?

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People