Re: new Apple symbols map (exposes kernel buglets?)

On Saturday 23 August 2003 7:56, Simon Vallet wrote:
> Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> wrote:
> > But you're saying that the Insert key is also Help? Does that mean that
> > both are engraved on it, or what is?
>
> Yes : it says "inser" and "aide" (french keyboard). "inser" is smaller and
> at the top of the key ; the larger "aide" is at the bottom.

Hmmm... In the UK and Switzerland, it doesn't say Insert at all...

Should I add Insert to the first shift-level? It sounds like it looks similar
to the "9/(" or "1/!" keys visualization of the first shift-level. Or would
the 2nd shift-level be better?

key  <INS> { [ Help, Insert ] };  // I prefer this
-or-
key  <INS> { [ Help, NoSymbol, Insert ] };

> > > Just another thought : why bother with the Mode_Switch / Multi-Key ;
> > > you could get a perfectly working keyboard with the ISO_Level3_Shift
> >
> > First time I hear of this. :) Looks to be similar to Mode_switch, how do
> > they differ?
>
> Mode_switch switches modes (as the name tells) : to get the "extended"
> symbol you have to look in the second "group", i.e. (this time the good one
> ;-) :

I think that your explaination is exactly backwards.

key <AE00> { [1, 2, 3, 4], [5, 6, 7, 8 ]};

To get 3 in this example, you have to press and hold Mode_swtich while
pressing 1. To get 5, you would have to press and hold ISO_Level3_Shift while
pressing 1.

The ability to toggle ISO_Level3_Shift is done with ISO_Next_Group. I don't
think Mode_switch can be toggled.

> Yes, I agree it is a different (and tricky) problem, but as I got it, the
> us(extended) map would also be modified ... ?

The idea was to make these things an option *somewhere* that could be picked
up from all keymaps.

Frank