Re: new Apple symbols map (exposes kernel buglets?)

[Sorry again, I'll have to learn how to click "Reply all" :) ]

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 20:20:21 +0200
Frank Murphy <murphyf+deb-ppc@f-m.fm> wrote:

> On Saturday 23 August 2003 7:56, Simon Vallet wrote:
> > Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> wrote:
> > > But you're saying that the Insert key is also Help? Does that mean that
> > > both are engraved on it, or what is?
> >
> > Yes : it says "inser" and "aide" (french keyboard). "inser" is smaller and
> > at the top of the key ; the larger "aide" is at the bottom.
>
> Hmmm... In the UK and Switzerland, it doesn't say Insert at all...
>
> Should I add Insert to the first shift-level? It sounds like it looks similar
> to the "9/(" or "1/!" keys visualization of the first shift-level. Or would
> the 2nd shift-level be better?
>
> key  <INS> { [ Help, Insert ] };  // I prefer this

I agree, this would be better.

As I said, I have no deep knowledge of XKB, but the ISO_Level3 is explicitly mentionned here, as well as in Ivan Pascal's docs at tsu.ru (which doesn't seem to be online anymore) :
http://www.xfree86.org/current/XKB-Enhancing4.html

> The ability to toggle ISO_Level3_Shift is done with ISO_Next_Group. I don't
> think Mode_switch can be toggled.

I don't really know this... I think _every_ single modifier key can be "locked" (so that  it could toggle a mode). Anyway the currently implemented types seem to follow your interpretation.

> The idea was to make these things an option *somewhere* that could be picked
> up from all keymaps.

That is in fact a good idea, but one of the reason I wrote my own keymap is that I got lost somewhere in the vast ocean of available keyboard variants/options.