Re: new Apple symbols map (exposes kernel buglets?)

On 23 Aug 2003 19:27:53 +0200
Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> wrote:

> BTW, you probably mean i.e. (latin abbreviation for 'id est', 'that
> is'), not e.g. ('exempli gratia', 'for example').

I did ;-)

> But you're saying that the Insert key is also Help? Does that mean that
> both are engraved on it, or what is?

Yes : it says "inser" and "aide" (french keyboard). "inser" is smaller and at the top of the key ; the larger "aide" is at the bottom.

> > Just another thought : why bother with the Mode_Switch / Multi-Key ;
> > you could get a perfectly working keyboard with the ISO_Level3_Shift
>
> First time I hear of this. :) Looks to be similar to Mode_switch, how do
> they differ?

Mode_switch switches modes (as the name tells) : to get the "extended" symbol you have to look in the second "group", i.e. (this time the good one ;-) :

key <TLDE> { [at, numbersign], [asciitilde]}

With ISO_Level3, you only change the shift level, leaving the second group (mode) available (for other languages/keymaps) :

key <TLDE> { [at, numbersign, asciitilde]}

you could have something like this, which shows the mapping of TLDE for (at least my) french and german keyboards :

key <TLDE> { [at, numbersign, asciitilde], [dead_circumflex, degree,  <something>]}

Mode_switch would then switch (or toggle ?) between a french and a german keyboard. The third shift level (asciitilde) would be activated by another key (AltGr).

> > (mapped to AltGr, for example).
>
> Well, the major part of the discussion has been about which physical key
> this should on a laptop keyboard...

Yes, I agree it is a different (and tricky) problem, but as I got it, the us(extended) map would also be modified ... ?