Re: new Apple symbols map (exposes kernel buglets?)

On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 18:58, Simon Vallet wrote:
> [Cc'ing to the list]
>
> On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:49:58 +0200
> Frank Murphy <murphyf+deb-ppc@f-m.fm> wrote:
> > The keycode/key symbol mapping doesn't look totally consistient
> > (<INS> = Help), but I blame that on the PC-keyboard bias. :)
>
> I'm not sure what you meant here, but on my keyboard (Apple extended II),
> the help key and the insert key are the same (that is, something like
> "<INS> = Help" makes sense to me)
>
> > As far as an Apple keyboard that has an Insert key beneath the Delete key, I
> > don't know. Who on this list has an extended keyboard and can share?
>
> I do :-). Again I'm not sure I got you right here (excuse my bad english) :
> my Delete key is just under the insert/help key, e.g. :

BTW, you probably mean i.e. (latin abbreviation for 'id est', 'that
is'), not e.g. ('exempli gratia', 'for example').

> ---------
> |  INS |
> ---------
> | DEL |
> ---------

But you're saying that the Insert key is also Help? Does that mean that
both are engraved on it, or what is?

> Just another thought : why bother with the Mode_Switch / Multi-Key ;
> you could get a perfectly working keyboard with the ISO_Level3_Shift

First time I hear of this. :) Looks to be similar to Mode_switch, how do
they differ?

> (mapped to AltGr, for example).

Well, the major part of the discussion has been about which physical key
this should on a laptop keyboard...

> That's what I have here because somehow it makes more sense for me.
>  (The purpose of Mode_switch was to be able to change the alphabet
> (set of symbols) you are using, or am I missing something ?)

Right, only as long as the key is pressed though, i.e. it shouldn't work
as a toggle.