Re: Supported systems (Was: Apple PowerMac G5)

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:07:20 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 01:02:11PM +0200, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:
>
>> 	The fact is that even at their US website the information is
>> sketchy.  There seems to be a preocuppation about preventing infoglut,
>> but that left me in the cold.
>>
>> 	Considering that Debian GNU/Linux on the Apple Macintosh is
>> unsupported in Europe.
>
> Err, the apple macintosh is supported by Debian worldwide, but i guess
> we don't use the same meaning to the word 'support'.
>
> What kind of support do you need exactly ?

	I mean, YD has a commitment to support the PowerMacs in the
US, bringing drivers and all that up to date and integrated.  Not
applicable to Debian nor to Europe -- French Switzerland in
particular.

	What I need is a silent RISC server with RAID and power supply
redundancy, three years on-site hardware warranty, and the assurance
all pieces will have drivers.

	I could buy a IBM machine, but it is probably not silent and I
am not sure of getting all drivers for it.  "Linux" for them probably
means SuSE and Red Hat.  I could buy a Pegasos or A1, but their
support and integration story still is not there, at least not in the
timeframe I need -- second week of July.

--
 _
/ \  Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra     +41 (21) 648 11 34