Re: kernel panic

Mercoledì, 25 Giu 2003, alle 01:33 Europe/Rome, Benjamin Herrenschmidt ha scritto:

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 16:08, Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
Hi people,
lately I got many kernel panic using 2.4.21-ben1 kernel compiled with
gcc-3.3 and with gcc-2.95.

The message I get at the monitor prompt is

kernel bug at page_alloc.c:106!
vector: 0 at pc=c0034c64, lr=c0034c64
msr=9032, sp=dc5dfde0 [dc5dfd18]
current=dc5de000, pid=447, comm=XFree86

does someone has the same experience?

That should definitely not happen. What is your setup ? (what machine,
anything special you do when those happen ?)

can you try getting a backtrace ? (with the "t" command in xmon,
then lookup the addresses in System.map)

Hi Ben,
this happened starting some days ago when I updated to unstable and 2.4.21-ben1 at the same time.

I then tried downgrading everythink (but not the kernel) to testing and to stable. Nothing happened. I also tried many versions of XFree86 and compiled (with different compilers and optimizations) kernel and xfree and glibc (2.3.1 and 2.3.2).

I finally understood that the problem is in the kernel, in version 2.4.21-ben1.

The machine I use is a PowerBook G4 running at 867Mhz.

What I do in order to block the kernel is just to log in using XDM. The system hangs immediately. Or, when I have the XDM window, switch to console, login and reboot.

At the xmon, when I get the backtrace I see some address. I did write beside that address, the name I found in the System.map from kernel 2.4.21-ben1 (compiled with gcc 2.95). At the end I also added the start/end addresses of every function used.

c0034c64 (in __free_pages_ok)
c00f3888 (in agp_generic_destroy_page)
c00f2bf4 (in agp_free_memory)
e3378189