Supported systems (Was: Apple PowerMac G5)

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:32:10 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 09:33:33AM +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>>
>> Same difference, it's not shipping for quite some time :)
>
> Notice that IBM also plan to ship some ppc 970 using boxes, so these
> would probably make decent linux boxes and support would be provided.

	I wonder how much support...

	I was checking IBM's current PPC line for a little project of
mine, which must be deployed by mid-July and have silent systems.

	The fact is that even at their US website the information is
sketchy.  There seems to be a preocuppation about preventing infoglut,
but that left me in the cold.

	Considering that Debian GNU/Linux on the Apple Macintosh is
unsupported in Europe (I know only of YellowDog supporting it in the
US, and with their own, RPM-based distro), and that the Pegasos and
AmigaOne aren't quite here as far as server-level support goes, one is
left to noise-controlled (not silent) Intel systems... that is, unless
there is some other RISC option in town I don't know about.

	It would be nice to have European support for Debian on PPC
akin to what YD does in the US for their own distro.

	Not to mention that Altivec in Debian AFAIK isn't still quite
here?

--
 _
/ \  Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra     +41 (21) 648 11 34