Re: Supported systems (Was: Apple PowerMac G5)

> 	I mean, YD has a commitment to support the PowerMacs in the
> US, bringing drivers and all that up to date and integrated.  Not
> applicable to Debian nor to Europe -- French Switzerland in
> particular.

So far, YDL isn't doing any developement work on the kernel or
drivers. They do support me in some ways, they do a bunch of testing and
they have a lot of work setting up a working userland environement, but
most of the PowerMac driver work to support new machines is done by me
on my spare time. (And I live in France ;)

> 	What I need is a silent RISC server with RAID and power supply
> redundancy, three years on-site hardware warranty, and the assurance
> all pieces will have drivers.
>
> 	I could buy a IBM machine, but it is probably not silent and I
> am not sure of getting all drivers for it.  "Linux" for them probably
> means SuSE and Red Hat.

And ? What distribution they provide shouldn't be an issue provided they
sell you with support a server that does what you need properly with
good support, right ? If they sell a Linux based server, you can be sure
they will provide proper drivers. You actually have more chances getting
drivers from/for IBM since they actually support linux on their machines
than drivers for Apple machines, since Apple doesn't support linux in
any way and we don't have specs for their chipsets.

Ben.