Re: AmigaOne or Pegasos for a smallish server?

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 07:34:31PM +0200, Ole-Egil Hvitmyren wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 10:37:32PM +0200, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti
> >Dutra wrote:
> >
> >>	I don't expect it to do any graphics: what I want is a free (as in
> >>speech), silent, energy-efficient, beautiful server.  It will do Samba
> >>

> >Well, a G3 altough somewhat slower than a G4 would be much more energy
> >efficient, and you don't really need the FPU or Altivec units, which are
> >the G4 two advantages.
> >

> With the new Altivec library from Motorola there might be more
> application using the Altivec in the future, but for now a G3 is good
> enough.
> However, I can build a complete server using a via C3 processor for less
> than 120 Euro here in Norway (and am in the process of doing so, since I
> was given one of the JACKCON cpacitor fitted Abit motherboards recently
> and have started to replace the capacitors :-) ), so I would check out
> this option as well. Not that I don't like PPC (I've got a bunch of PPC
> machines), but if a more efficient approach is called for, I would at
> least _consider_ a C3.

Yep, that is sure, altough i believe the C3 would be much less
performant clock for clock, considering it was less than a match for a
Celeron based on the PIII core, and supposedly the G3 are faster than a
PIII clock for clock. Also, the VIA Eden motherboards only sport a
single PCI slot, while the pegasos sports 3 and the i suppose that the
Theron board have at least as much.

> >They will survive, at least the chances are greater for Genesi to
> >survive than for Amiga. Genesi is making money on other businesses too,
> >so they have cash incomes, while Amiga has been laying off staff
> >recently, if i read the rumors correctly. Too bad they both had to fight
> >themselves like spoiled children instead of working together, but that
> >has been the history of Amiga since back then.
>
> Except the AmigaOne (as Pegasos supporters _constantly_ go on about) has
> NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH THE AMIGAONE except licensing out the
> name. The AmigaOne is a MAI/Eyetech project, with MAI providing the
> designs and Eyetech providing the distribution and support. Come on. FUD
> is no better when coming from you than from Rose.

Sure, which is why it would be better to name it by its non-amiga name.
It is only a Theron motherboard, straight from the MAI design, is it not ?
I think some people are even selling these without the amigaOne name or
something such.  And for a Linux board, who cares anyway.

> The AmigaOne has G4 modules since LONG ago, and a dual G4 module has
> been made. But _at the moment_ there's only the single 800MHz G3 and G4
> modules available. Since the targetted OS for these machines doesn't do
> dual-CPU yet (and might not for a long time), the market for a dual G4
> just isn't there yet, I think. Even though I would buy one ;-)

Linux would run fine on those, would it not ?

> >As said, try contacting Genesi directly, they are based in France and
> >Luxemburg, if i am not wrong. http://www.genesi.lu/ would be the right
> >place for that.
> >
> Oh, and Terrasoft are NOT distributing the Teron at this point, so
> that's a moot point. And as mentioned before, if Amiga Inc goes bust,
> there's NOTHING that would affect the production of the AmigaOne, except
> possibly a name change. I will still use it just like I have up to now,
> and so will a LOT of people.

Sure, sorry if my words seemed like FUD, as said, i have not been
following the amiga side of stuff since a long time, and have heard the
above only from rumor sites, and was hoping a bit that the ones of you
who have amigaones and are aware of the details could fill us about it.

Friendly,

Sven Luther