Re: AmigaOne or Pegasos for a smallish server?

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:44:43 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:

> Well, the pegasos boards are mostly outsold

	Too bad.  Or too good?

> and the new pegasos II boards
> arriving in september should be much better

	Too late (I hope, for the good of my project).

> crossbar memory architecture. That said, some of the pegasos boards may
> still be findable in some retailer as i heard.

	Tried Relec.ch, no answer yet.

> Linux runs well on it, altough it is an older 2.4.18 era kernel, i am
> currently porting to newer kernels, radeonfb has some issues under the
> console, but backporting the radeonfb from the benh kernels should solve
> this.

	Do you think it production-stable for a server?

	I don't expect it to do any graphics: what I want is a free (as in
speech), silent, energy-efficient, beautiful server.  It will do Samba
now, X in the future -- therefore upgrading to the dual G4 would be a
plus, I understand this is a possibility only with the Pegasos -- if they
survive long enough?

> I don't know the exact state of the AmigaONE, nor am i really current with
> the rumorset involved with it, i heard that amiga throw out lot of
> personnel though, so i guess your best guess with regard to it would be
> one of the Theron boards by terrasoft or something such, which are just
> the same boards as amigaone without the amiga marketing.

	Will look for Swiss distributors, thanks.

--
 _
/ \  Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra     +41 (21) 648 11 34