Re: AmigaOne or Pegasos for a smallish server?

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 10:37:32PM +0200, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:44:43 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > Well, the pegasos boards are mostly outsold
>
> 	Too bad.  Or too good?

Well, there were not that many produced, due to the before mentioned
north-bridge chips shortage. That said, the pegasos II should be much
better, so maybe it is for the best.

> > and the new pegasos II boards
> > arriving in september should be much better
>
> 	Too late (I hope, for the good of my project).

:)))

> > crossbar memory architecture. That said, some of the pegasos boards may
> > still be findable in some retailer as i heard.
>
> 	Tried Relec.ch, no answer yet.

Try contacting Genesi directly.

> > Linux runs well on it, altough it is an older 2.4.18 era kernel, i am
> > currently porting to newer kernels, radeonfb has some issues under the
> > console, but backporting the radeonfb from the benh kernels should solve
> > this.
>
> 	Do you think it production-stable for a server?

I don't know, i guess it works well, i have never seen it hang, but then
i have not especially stress tested it. What would be the things that
needs to be tested for this ?

> 	I don't expect it to do any graphics: what I want is a free (as in
> speech), silent, energy-efficient, beautiful server.  It will do Samba

Well, a G3 altough somewhat slower than a G4 would be much more energy
efficient, and you don't really need the FPU or Altivec units, which are
the G4 two advantages.

> now, X in the future -- therefore upgrading to the dual G4 would be a
> plus, I understand this is a possibility only with the Pegasos -- if they
> survive long enough?

They will survive, at least the chances are greater for Genesi to
survive than for Amiga. Genesi is making money on other businesses too,
so they have cash incomes, while Amiga has been laying off staff
recently, if i read the rumors correctly. Too bad they both had to fight
themselves like spoiled children instead of working together, but that
has been the history of Amiga since back then.

> > I don't know the exact state of the AmigaONE, nor am i really current with
> > the rumorset involved with it, i heard that amiga throw out lot of
> > personnel though, so i guess your best guess with regard to it would be
> > one of the Theron boards by terrasoft or something such, which are just
> > the same boards as amigaone without the amiga marketing.
>
> 	Will look for Swiss distributors, thanks.

As said, try contacting Genesi directly, they are based in France and
Luxemburg, if i am not wrong. http://www.genesi.lu/ would be the right
place for that.

Friendly,

Sven Luther