Re: AmigaOne or Pegasos for a smallish server?

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 01:02:35AM +0200, Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:
> 	I want to setup a server with Debian and Samba for a dozen MS
> Windows 95 to XP clients.  Would like to have some growth space as the
> clients might become X terminals in the future, and use other services as
> web cache, fax server etc.
>
> 	Obviously I'd like to have a small SCSI RAID and tape backup.
>
> 	What would be the preferred system for stability now, AmigaOne or
> Pegasos?

Well, the pegasos boards are mostly outsold, and the new pegasos II
boards arriving in september should be much better, with DDR ram support
and crossbar memory architecture. That said, some of the pegasos boards
may still be findable in some retailer as i heard. The good point of the
pegasos vs the amigaone is that it is a micro-atx board, so takes less
space, and it is also more feature packed. It has only a 600MHz G3, but
G4 boards will be forthcoming.

Linux runs well on it, altough it is an older 2.4.18 era kernel, i am
currently porting to newer kernels, radeonfb has some issues under the
console, but backporting the radeonfb from the benh kernels should solve
this.

I don't know the exact state of the AmigaONE, nor am i really current
with the rumorset involved with it, i heard that amiga throw out lot of
personnel though, so i guess your best guess with regard to it would be
one of the Theron boards by terrasoft or something such, which are just
the same boards as amigaone without the amiga marketing. I may be wrong
or misinformed about the current state of this thouhg, and i am biased
toward the pegasos boards, so take this last one with a grain of salt.
AmigaOne owners, which previously posted to this list will assuredly
correct me if i did say wrong things.

Friendly,

Sven Luther