Re: dist-uprgrade

Chris Tillman wrote:

On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 10:45:58PM -0700, Torben Brosten wrote:
Since you are a newbie, you must not upgrade to unstable.  You are on
your own for these kinds of errors in unstable. Please change your
sources to testing instead, if you want the most recent software, and
I bet you won't have any problems

Interesting. I bought the 8CD set from cheapbytes and assumed it was for stable debian ppc 3r1. etc/apt/sources.list is showing the cdroms as "unstable".

How do I switch to testing? Just comment out the cdroms and change the 'stable' to 'testing' for the other lines in sources.list?

yes, if you have a fast net connection, you can set up sources for a
net mirror (most have a testing archive). /sbin/base-config may be
helpful.

I wonder, though, if they are really unstable CDs. I wouldn't think
many people would want them. You could check the /.disk/info file on
the CD, I think that is supposed to say which distribution is
represented.

woody=stable
sarge=testing
sid=unstable

I was having other problems with this install, so have since re-installed. Now the sources.list shows "stable". I really did see the "woody" unstable.. 8> Now the only evidence is the "unstable" from within:
more  /cdrom/.disk/info
deb cdrom: [Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r1 _Woody_ - Official powerpc Binary-1 (20030109)]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main