Re: dist-uprgrade

On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 03:02:20AM -0700, Torben Brosten wrote:
> Chris Tillman wrote:

> >>Interesting.  I bought the 8CD set from cheapbytes and assumed it was
> >>for stable debian ppc 3r1. etc/apt/sources.list is showing the cdroms as
> >>"unstable".
> >>
> >>How do I switch to testing? Just comment out the cdroms and change the
> >>'stable' to 'testing' for the other lines in sources.list?
> >>

> >yes, if you have a fast net connection, you can set up sources for a
> >net mirror (most have a testing archive). /sbin/base-config may be
> >helpful.
> >
> >I wonder, though, if they are really unstable CDs. I wouldn't think
> >many people would want them. You could check the /.disk/info file on
> >the CD, I think that is supposed to say which distribution is
> >represented.
> >
> >woody=stable
> >sarge=testing
> >sid=unstable
> >
> I was having other problems with this install, so have since
> re-installed. Now the sources.list shows "stable".  I really did see the
> "woody" unstable.. 8>  Now the only evidence is the "unstable" from within:
> more  /cdrom/.disk/info
> deb cdrom: [Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r1 _Woody_ - Official powerpc Binary-1
> (20030109)]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main

Yes, the installer creates a stable sources.list, apt-cdrom may
replace it with the CD's list. Well, if I were you, I'd send 'em back
and exchange for stable or testing, and give 'em an earful.  I would
say almost nobody would be interested in a binary unstable CD. People
running unstable usually update their systems on a daily or weekly
basis, directly from the servers. It's a moving target, and really
shouldn't be considered a 'distribution' at all.

Since you've re-installed, you can just apt-get dist-upgrade with
a testing source in the sources.list.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
By the People, For the People