Re: Need to get data out of damaged iBook

On Wednesday 14 May 2003 10:37, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> As far as I know, there is no sleep patch bug.
>
> There may be a HW defect on some series of iBooks causing them to
> eventually fry on sleep, but afaik, this is not related to a sw bug,
> and may happen with OSX as well...

As a side note, I had the exact same issue on my powerbook 15" (1Ghz). It went
down for good after a long "sleep" on a ben-9 kernel, but I had been noticing
the first symptoms (like the display not coming up at all, or getting all
messed up in yaboot or after) occasionally for a while before that, and it
started well before I got your first sleep-patched ben-8 kernel on it. So it
seems mostly unrelated to the sleep code in that case as well, and besides,
there was a girl at the Apple Care Center who had the same tibook, the same
issue, and only used OS X...

In case you hadn't had the info on powerbooks...

Vincent Strubel