Re: Need to get data out of damaged iBook

> Something happened to my iBook 2.2 - stripes started to appear on the
> screen and then it crashed. When I turned it off an tried to turn on
> again screen was just black. After I took out the battery and left the
> computer with no power for some an hour I was able to start the computer
> and also Debian on it - but only for 10 minutes. I was only able to copy
> a mere catalogue to my quick-and-dirty-arranged file server and the
> iBook went down again. Now the computer is in Apple Service (Center?).

This sounds like the sleep patch bug that has cooked a few ibooks
(including mine some time ago).  Your data should be fine.  I sent mine
to apple support and paid the $50 (conditional if they need to replace
the hd and can back it up successfully) to have the data saved.  It came
back fine, and they ddn't charge me the $50 which I assume meant that
the harddrive didn't need to be replaced.

Does anyone know if this problem is fixed in newer benh kernels?  I've
been absolutely paranoid of sleep since this happened.

jack.