Re: Need to get data out of damaged iBook

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 10:22:52PM -0400, David Zhou wrote:
> As far as I can tell, most of the posters agree that there's no
> specific "cause."  Some think it was just a bad batch of logicboards
> that Apple got.  There may be a bad capacitor, or solder somewhere that
> wears down with use and time.  That may be why the iBook works fine for
> 10 months, then wonks out.

I was told that the cables going to the LCD are (were?) badly protected,
and if the insulating plastic wears out, you get short circuits. This
sends some stray signals to the motherboard that cause the
hang/crash/...
What you could try is put the ibook on a stable surface, and backup over
ssh, _without touching it while it is running_, since any movement can
trigger the problem.

Frank