Re: Newbie problems

Thanks soo much for your help, good to know one newbie stands up for another..:) I tried chmodding everything and nothing changed, i think my sound is not configured right in my kernel. I might have to recomile (which will be a first, but i'll have to do it eventually right?) Anywho here the outputs.

jule@localhost:~$ sudo lsmod
soundcore               4808   0  (autoclea an)
pcmcia_core            43344   0
irtty                   7200   2  (autoclean)
irda                  108452   0  (autoclean) [irtty]
macserial              39316   1  (autoclean)
rtc                     1792   0  (autoclean)

jule@localhostia:~$ ls -la /dev/dsp
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     audio     14,   3 Mar 14  2002 /dev/dsp

for the CD drive:

jule@localhost:~$ cat /etc/fstab
#
/dev/hda4       /               ext3    errors=remount-ro       0       1
/dev/hda3       none            swap    sw                      0       0
proc            /proc           proc    defaults                0       0
/dev/fd0        /floppy         auto    user,noauto             0       0
/dev/cdrom      /cdrom          iso9660 ro,user,noauto          0       0

jule@localhost:~$ ls -l /dev/cdrom /dev/hdb /dev/scd0
ls: /dev/cdrom: No such file or directory
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,  64 Mar 14  2002 /dev/hdb
brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     11,   0 Mar 14  2002 /dev/scd0