Re: Mac 7200 (PPC) sees Promise controller.. BUT NO DRIVES

Now, all of this begs the question... since my Mac started working again
after I disabled BOTH RTC settings... yet previously, I'd been using 2.4
kernels
(non-Ben-patched/virgin/stock/unaltered/Linus's-tree/whatever-you-call-it)
with the PPC RTC option on, and it booted fine...

...what did you do to alter it, Ben? ^_^ I would be curious.. can you look
over the diff(s) of the relevent file(s) and see what might be causing
this?

Also, I am not quite sure if your 8500 and my 7200 have "approximately the
same hardware" as you mentioned... yes, they're both Old World, and yes,
they share the same complement of SWIM/MESH/etc. chips, but if I recall
correctly the 7200 (and 8200 too, I think?) had some hardware wonkiness
which made them somewhat different from the other Macs... no? At a bare
minimum, they lack the neat CPU upgrade slot which most of the other PCI
OldWorld Macs had... hence forcing the makers of Mac CPU upgrades to
release a special 7200/8200-only module, or release none at all...

Or is that the only notable hardware difference between the 7200s and the
other 7x00/8x00 machines?