Re: Mac 7200 (PPC) sees Promise controller.. BUT NO DRIVES

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> > Eh? Why does the keyboard WORK with init=/bin/sh, but NOT WORK when
> > booting as per usual? That makes zero sense...
>
> It does make senes. With init=/bin/sh, the keyboard works with
> the kernel built-in keymap. Later on, your userland scripts are
> keycode type, and thus produce the incorrect results.

Ahh. God bless userland scripts in /etc/*.d screwing things up. :/

> If you have CONFIG_ADB_KEYCODES set, then either clear it or
> boot with keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1 on the cmdline (you
> can also change it via /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid)

I could find no CONFIG_ADB_KEYCODES. (I rgrep -r -i'd for it). I am
presuming you meant CONFIG_ADB_KEYBOARD, and proceeding along those
lines...

> > > So the problem is really with the real time clock, or with the
> > > Cuda driver. It works fine on the 8500 I have here (approximately
> > > same hardware), though. Can you disable both CONFIG_RTC and
> > > CONFIG_PPC_RTC ? That will prevent sync'ing the clock but should
> > > allow it to boot.
> >
> > Trying right now. Kernel compiles take a while on a 601/90... even with
> > cache...
>
> Heh, yup
>

> > > Also, is your kernel compile with CONFIG_SMP ? (I beleive it isn't
> > > but still...)
> > >

> > I don't think so. >checks< No. And just in case you were gonna ask that
> > next, YES, I AM compiling with the Machine Type as "CHRP/PowerMac/PReP" ;)
>
> You wouldn't have gone far without this one ;)

Hee. I bet. I never tried mussing that one up ;)

> > And with the Processor Type as "6xx/7xx/64xx/8260" ;) And with AltiVec
> > Support off. And with Thermal Management Support off. An with CPU
> > Frequency scaling off. And with MPC8260 CPM Support off. :>
>
> Ok, well, those above don't really matter. It really looks like you are
> either running CONFIG_RTC instead of CONFIG_PPC_RTC or I broke something
> in the Cuda driver on non-SMP (guess what ? my 8500 is SMP :) I'll check
> the later case here.

Was ist das "Cuda"?

> Ben.

J e s s i c a    L e a h    B l a n k