Re: would this break my debian installation?

Did you make and hfs filesystem on the target partition?  The
installer won't take unfilesystemed free space (otherwise it would
probably offer to install on your GNU/Linux partitions, as well);
there has to be something there.  If you haven't done "hformat
/dev/whatever", that will probably do the trick.  It's what I've done
when I've successfully installed OS X after GNU, though not through mol.

Try that.

O.