Re: Tuxracer stopped working after the latest dri-trunk upgrade.

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 04:48:17PM +0100, Jesus Climent wrote:
> I mixed many documents found on the "links" section.

...and then asserted your own copyright, exclusively, on the result.

> I can provide credits to all of them, if you wish me to.

That's between you and your conscience.  Or between you and the other
people whose work you borrowed.

> I did not, in any case, want to upset anyone.

In reviewing all of the messages to this list that you've sent since
June 19th, it appears to be your purpose to be the central repository
for Debian/iBook information.  To the exclusion of all others,
apparently, since you have not once posted a URL to a readable
information resource other than your own (you have posted URLs to
downloadable things).

> The disclaimer was added because I received many times a week permision
> to copy/modify/translate it, so I added.

In many cases the permission was not yours to extend.  But that's your
problem to deal with; I wash my hands of it.

> Sorry if I upset you.

It's not a matter of upsetting people.  It's a matter of having respect
for the work of others.

> I will include a reference.

I've seen it, and you need not include it.  In fact, I'd rather you
deleted any references to my name until and unless you credit every
other person's work as well.  People shouldn't have to be squeaky wheels
for you to credit their work.  For instance, Colin Walters contributed
to my document as well, and you didn't give him any credit (whereas I
did).

But I don't insist that you do anything in particular.  You want the
world to know that the document is "Copyleft 2002 by Jesus Climent" and
not copyrighted by (i.e., not the work of) anyone else, even in part.
History is written by the victors, and as far as I'm concerned if you
want this victory so badly you can have it.

I'm not going to compound your error of discourtesy by rudely asserting
that you've infringed my copyright, so you have nothing to fear from me
in that regard.

You seem to have almost completely missed my point, and I haven't the
energy to try and persuade you to adopt my philosophy of authorship and
credit, so hopefully we can mutually agree to let the issue drop.

As an aside, you have not properly employed the GNU Free Documentation
License that you claim to use.  Here is how the GNU FDL says it should
be applied:

      Copyright (c)  YEAR  YOUR NAME.
      Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
      under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1
      or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation;
      with the Invariant Sections being LIST THEIR TITLES, with the
      Front-Cover Texts being LIST, and with the Back-Cover Texts being LIST.
      A copy of the license is included in the section entitled "GNU
      Free Documentation License".

      If you have no Invariant Sections, write "with no Invariant Sections"
      instead of saying which ones are invariant. If you have no Front-Cover
      Texts, write "no Front-Cover Texts" instead of "Front-Cover Texts being
      LIST"; likewise for Back-Cover Texts.

You need to explicitly identify any Invariant Sections and Cover Texts,
or explicitly declare that there are none.  This is particularly
important for reasons of determining whether your document is DFSG-free.
If you have questions about these issues, you should ask the
debian-legal mailing list, which specializes in licensing matters.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Reality is what refuses to go away
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     when I stop believing in it.