Re: unable to boot potato cd on ibook2

On Wed, 2002-01-16 at 01:09, erik@debill.org wrote:
> I just finished using this to get woody up and running on my ibook2.
> worked great.  It even got X running properly (which Yellow Dog didn't
> without some tweaking).  I used fbdev, btw.

Wonderful!  This is good to hear.  I hope you don't mind, but I have
forwarded this message to debian-testing, where the release manager and
others can assess the current state of the system.

> You have to point the kernel/modules install to
> http://penguinppc.org/~walters/debian/installer instead of
> http.us.debian.org.  After that the standard http.us.debian.org worked
> for installing base system and other packages.

Yeah, you won't need to do this after the next release of the installer,
which should hopefully come soon.

> So far the only complaints were the lack of a chance to tell yaboot to
> also boot Mac OS X,

This would be a good idea.  Can anyone think of a good way to implement
it?  We could traverse the partition table and look for file systems
that are Apple_HFS or whatever, but how can we tell whether they're
MacOS or MacOS X?  And how can we tell which ones are bootable? (I don't
have MacOS, so I can't try this.)

> and that tasksel didn't install a window manager
> when I told it to install X (kind of annoying when it defaults to an X
> windows boot via gdm :-)

That's bad.  We will be sure to fix that before release.  I think the
appropriate people will be watching -testing, but I'll be sure to file a
bug if not.

Did you select any other tasks in tasksel?

> Then again, now that I have an up to date install I might not be
> reinstalling for a bit (though I'll give it a try when the
> new-powermac stuff goes into the default install - just to make sure
> it keeps working as well as it does now).

This would be VERY helpful!  There are far too few people doing testing
of the installer.

And thanks for the report!  Feedback like this alone is very important
for us to improve the system.