Re: Fix for german keymaps in woody on the ibook2

On 16 Jan 2002, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> > > I see, but the question is what key to sacrifice for it?
> >
> > Well, there's not much choice on the iBook keyboard: you more or less have
> > to choose the compined alt/Option key, or maybe the small enter key next
> > to the right Command (Apple) key, but I'm usin that as my second/third
> > mouse button already...
>
> Let's leave that out of the picture for now, this could be an
> interesting lead... does that key have keycode 108 in X?

Hmmm, which one?
The left "alt" key, which is "Option" as well has keycode 64 in X.
The small "Enter" key has keycode 96 (or 101 with Fn) on the
console. Don't know about X here, since I'm using the kernel to map it to
right/middle mouse buttons...

[...]
> So you've never used a Sun keyboard. :)

At least not much...

> You press and release Compose, then you press and release two keys one
> after another, and the result is the combination of the two (if it
> exists). E.g. compose, '~', 'n' => ñ. That way, you can get virtually
> any symbol.

Oh dear! Sounds quite complicated, unless you mainly use the keyboard for
coding or English text...

[...]
> I use xmodmap to turn the Enter key (keycode 108) on the right of the
> space bar into Mode_switch and Multi_key.
>
> I wonder if something like this could be a general solution, at least as
> an Xkb option?

Sounds like a useful solution, but only if you don't multiboot to
MacOS. They're using the "alt" key there, and it can be really irritating
if your Mode_switch position depends on your operating system...

Cheers,
	Siggi