Re: unable to boot potato cd on ibook2

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 08:04:19PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:

> The ibook2 will be very unhappy with potato's kernel. We are
> developing an installer for newer powermacs such as this. If you'd
> like to try it out,
>
> http://penguinppc.org/~walters/debian/installer/new-powermac
>
> Also Branden has a page about installing on an ibook,
>
> http://people.debian.org/~branden/ibook.html

I just finished using this to get woody up and running on my ibook2.
worked great.  It even got X running properly (which Yellow Dog didn't
without some tweaking).  I used fbdev, btw.

You have to point the kernel/modules install to
http://penguinppc.org/~walters/debian/installer instead of
http.us.debian.org.  After that the standard http.us.debian.org worked
for installing base system and other packages.

So far the only complaints were the lack of a chance to tell yaboot to
also boot Mac OS X, and that tasksel didn't install a window manager
when I told it to install X (kind of annoying when it defaults to an X
windows boot via gdm :-)

I'd ammend Branden's document to include an extra partition visible by
Mac OS.  I partitioned mine 3 ways, and use the extra partition for the
installer files I keep downloading to test.  I just keep folders for
2.2r5, woody, new-powermac on my desktop and copy the right files into
the extra partition before I reboot.  Otherwise you end up wiping out
the partition with your working yaboot in it as soon as you start the
Linux install.  That gets rather awkward if anything bombs out.

Then again, now that I have an up to date install I might not be
reinstalling for a bit (though I'll give it a try when the
new-powermac stuff goes into the default install - just to make sure
it keeps working as well as it does now).

Erik