Re: Considering moving to Debian PowerPC

On Sam, 2002-12-28 at 13:58, christophe barbe wrote:

> > > Thanks to all who replied. I now have a good idea of where I stand. It
> > > seems (after some searching) that the suspend/resume issue is related
> > > to ATI not having released appropriate specifications for the M7.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, this limitation makes the prospect of running Linux/PPC
> > > much less attractive to me. Oh well, in any case, thanks for the help,
> > > guys.
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > two days ago I was chatting with dreamind about the snooze-issue
> > concerning an iBook3 (16vram). He said that benh got it working in the
> > latest rsync-kernel. Maybe that applys to the powerbooks too. Give it a
> > try.
> >
> > bye, claas
>
> I just did a rsync before applying the patch but I never tried without
> the patch (but the patch seems to add stuff).

Actually, it seems to disable the code which actually puts the chip into
D2 suspend mode (which might mean the chip wastes power during sleep)
and restores a couple extra registers which should probably be handled
by other code anyway.

> Anyway I was not aware that ben was working on it, so next week I will
> rsync often and give feedback.

Well, I thought the rsync tree was going to be static now...

Anyway, my tests with this patch on a TiBook III have shown it to work
in console and in X with DRI disabled, but even switching to a DRI
enabled server or starting one after sleep causes a hang, with or
without agpgart. So either something's still wrong, or there's a
difference between iBooks and TiBooks.