Re: two sound questions

On Wed, 2002-04-10 at 18:53, Thomas Peri wrote:
> Hmmm... ok, did that.  But I just discovered that that wasn't what was
> causing that alert.  esound, though installed, was not running. *slaps
> self on forehead*  How can I have it run at startup?

If you are running Gnome, fire up Gnome Control Center, select
Multimedia -> Sound (on the left side), check 'Enable sound server
startup', and restart gnome (log out and then back in).

If you aren't running Gnome or KDE, you have to run esd from your
~/.xsession file. Example:

/usr/bin/esd &
exec /usr/bin/enlightenment

I can't give you the details for KDE, since I don't use it, but it
should be similar to Gnome, if supported.

> I suppose gaim is trying to use /dev/dsp directly to
> play its sounds, but I don't see an option in gaim for using esound.

According to the documentation, there are only few apps supporting esd.
It seems, that the rest is directing its audio output to /dev/dsp :((

> Another thing: switching to esound has introduced a one-second delay in
> xmms between clicking stop and the music actually stopping.  Same for
> volume.  Any thoughts on this?

Same here.

Theo
--