two sound questions

Two questions:

a) Now that I have working sound (thanks!), I've noticed that when something's playing in xmms, other sounds (like terminal beeps, and message sounds in gaim) don't come through. If xmms isn't playing, they come through fine. Is there a way to fix this?

b) Also (and I mentioned this in another thread, but I'll ask again), the volume slider in xmms has no effect. Is there a way to have the actual volume reflect the position of this slider?

Thanks

Thomas