Re: mice and x

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 04:41:13PM -0500, eric.s.cote@sympatico.ca wrote:
> on 25/02/2002 12:57, Chris Tillman at tillman@voicetrak.com wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 03:50:58PM -0500, eric.s.cote@sympatico.ca wrote:
> >>
> >> Cool, thanks for the tip. I have tried /dev/input/mice, but maybe it'll work
> >> this time with the dpkg-reconfigure. (hopefully). Seeing the desktop is like
> >> seeing something you want, but there's a 6 inch piece of glass blocking you
> >> from touching it.
> >
> > You might also try disabling gpm. I understand it can interfere with X if
> > not set up right.
>
> oh, ok. It (gpm) works fine in the debian console, but when I go into X, it
> does nothing. (I said this before, sorry) Ok, so when I've already started
> up, how do I kill an app that's been loaded by the init.d stuff? is it
> "killall -HUP [name of app/daemon]"?
>
> I tried dpkg-reconfigure, it didn't work. It told me that debconf wasn't
> installed or not ...(something)..., which it is. I assume I can do some
> config work within the window manager's environment, but how would you
> config the WM outside that environment? The only tip I got from the man
> pages was "you can configure ... inside the window manager...". I also tried
> letting the WM set the mouse config, and all it did was change the /dev/
> file in such a way that the symlink file pointing to it broke (and it was
> /dev/adbmouse, BTW, just re-named to "|gpmdata").

You're out of my league now; but there are 2 ways to start X, startx and gdm.
With gdm, you have a choice of what kind of session you want, I think. When
installed as part of the tasksel desktop package, I think most of this stuff
is taken care of for you; at least gnome starts for me automatically when
I start X.