Re: ReiserFS on blank hard drive

On Wednesday 16 May 2001 01:43, Ethan Benson wrote:
> install both disks and use cpio.  i never reinstall the OS for
> something as mundane as a disk upgrade.

Well, I never opened my Pismo but I'd think that there is only one IDE
connector... Anyone have experience with that?

> fixing bugs takes time.  unfortunatly rather then fix endianess
> issues, the reiserfs people thought thier time would better be spent
> accusing alan cox of conspiring to get ext3 into the kernel first just
> because ext3 is being worked on by a redhat employee.  (alan cox
> stated some things he felt must be fixed before reiser would be ready
> for kernel inclusion, the two main ones were: 64 bit clean, and endian
> clean).

I know, I know. I've read the flame wars that have been going on. The real
problem was that SuSE was pushing for Reiser (they employed Hans Reiser for
making his FS a journalling FS). I agree it should not be in the kernel right
now.

> i would suggest splitting up your partitioning.  that is really the
> best thing you can do.  your / should be 64MB, have a seperate /tmp,
> /usr, /var, /home and maybe /usr/local if you use it alot.  keep /usr
> (and /usr/local if its seperate) mounted readonly at all times, then
> it won't need to be fscked on a bad boot.  that will save the majority
> of time.  keep in mind that a 10GB filesystem that is only 10% full
> won't take any time at all to fsck.  but a single bloated / partition
> will take forever mainly because of /usr.

I already have /usr as a separate partition. But how do you teach apt to
remount it read-write and then read-only again?
Why make / 64 MB big when making /tmp and /var as a separate partition? Both
could find place on that partition...

Phil

--
    Philipp von Weitershausen