Re: ReiserFS on blank hard drive

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 11:47:45AM +0200, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 May 2001 01:43, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > install both disks and use cpio.  i never reinstall the OS for
> > something as mundane as a disk upgrade.
>
> Well, I never opened my Pismo but I'd think that there is only one IDE
> connector... Anyone have experience with that?

whats the CDROM connected to then?  i never bother to install both
disks `correctly' i just have things haphazardly layed out on the
table with cables everywhere ;-)  it only takes a few minutes for cpio
anyway.

> I know, I know. I've read the flame wars that have been going on. The real
> problem was that SuSE was pushing for Reiser (they employed Hans Reiser for
> making his FS a journalling FS). I agree it should not be in the kernel right
> now.

regardless of whether it was whining or corrupt^H^H^H^Hporate pressure
its disappointing linus lets that crap enter to his decisions.

> I already have /usr as a separate partition. But how do you teach apt to
> remount it read-write and then read-only again?

add this to /etc/apt/apt.conf:

DPkg
{
// Auto re-mounting of a readonly /usr
Pre-Invoke {"mount -o remount,rw /usr";};
Post-Invoke {"mount -o remount,ro /usr";};
}

> Why make / 64 MB big when making /tmp and /var as a separate partition? Both
> could find place on that partition...

because /var and /tmp have no business being on the root partition.
they should be seperate partitions (or if you use 2.4 kernels /tmp
should perhaps be tmpfs.  anyone have any docs/info on advantages of
this?)

/var is for very variable data, in a crash its more likely to be
damaged, so if its the same as root you can get a hosed root
filesystem which is quite a bitch to recover from.. on the other hand
a screwed up /var isn't that hard to repair.  (unless /var/lib/dpkg
gets screwed, but you should tar that off to somewhere every day in a
cron)

take advice from someone who is no stranger to massive filesystem
corruption (and no a journaling filesystem would not have done dick to
help me at the time, the kernel decided to eat the fs), splitting
/var, /tmp, /usr, and /home is a VERY good thing, it makes recovery
much easier to deal with.  (even if / is the one that gets totally
trashed).

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/